Most sales people I talk with say they NEVER leave voice mail messages.
But here’s a question for you:
How many callbacks do you get if you DON’T leave a voicemail?
You CAN get your message across, despite voice mail roadblocks.
First of all, think of the person listening to your voice mail message.
Think about ways you can make your message not only interesting, but motivational.
You CAN motivate the listener to be curious or interested enough to want to return your call.
Get their attention immediately – within the first 14 seconds, according to research.
4 best attention-getting voicemail tactics
- Make your introductory statement short and to the point. See example below.
- Talk about something new.
- Explain how it benefits the listener.
- Use one or two positive power words with a time-sensitive message.
Example: Mortgage company employee calling a homeowner
“Hi [prospect’s name]. This is [sales rep’s name] calling from [name of mortgage company] at [sales rep’s telephone number].”
“I’m calling you tonight to alert you about some new refinancing options that are available for your mortgage loan. Our records show that we can save you several thousand dollars by lowering your interest rate and if you would like to learn more, please call us at [telephone number]. We don’t know how long this low rate will last, so please call me back as soon as possible. That’s [telephone number]. I look forward to talking with you soon.”
Why would this message prompt a call back?
Because the caller used a benefit statement for the listener with three Positive Power words: “new,” “your”and “alert.” And the message is time sensitive.
If you are brave enough to make an hour’s worth of phone calls for three days each week – with 50 to 80 percent going to voice mail – do this:
- Give the prospect a good reason to call you back.
- Make notes and keep track of all voice mail messages you leave.
- Post your notes in a prominent place where you can easily see them.
- Next to each name on your list, write the reason for the call, so you won’t be shocked and speechless when they DO return your call.
Do not be disappointed if you don’t get a call back the same day or the next day or the next. You will see a good reason to be patient on this page – based on my personal experience.
Thanks for reading – here’s wishing you a beautiful day!
PS: Want help leaving effective voicemail messages and writing attention-getting emails?
Join my next e-Course! Send me an email: email@example.com and I’ll get back to you ASAP